• Earth is a planet on which we live.
• Our Earth is approximately 4,000 miles from surface to centre.
• Our Earth is made up of four distinct layers.
• These layers are:
FOUR DISTINCT LAYERS OF EARTH
Figure 1: Layers of Earth
The Earth’s Crust:
Figure 2: Earth’s crust
The Earth’s Mantle:Read More...
INTRODUCTION TO MINERALS
• Our Earth’s crust is made up of many elements.
• There are 90 known elements that exist in the Earth’s crust.
• These elements combine with one another in a number of natural ways, creating molecules known as minerals.Read More...
USES OF MINERALS
• Diamond- is used in cutting tools, blades, and beautiful gemstones.
• Fluorite- is used in pottery; ceramics, and plastics.
• Graphite- is used in pencils.
• Talc- is used in baby powder, in gymnastics to grip the bars.Read More...
DIFFERENT TYPES OF ROCKS
• Many of the materials we use everyday are made from different kinds of rocks.
• Depending on the way they are formed, rocks are grouped as:
• All rocks on Earth were initially igneous in nature.
Figure 6: Igneous rocks