• Our Earth is covered with natural resources and we use these sources in our everyday life in many ways.
What is a Mineral?
• A mineral is a naturally occurring inorganic solid; with definite chemical composition and specific atomic arrangement.
• Minerals may be simple substances or very complex ones.
• Some minerals are common while others are rare.
• Even rocks are formed from minerals.
• But all rocks are not the same.
• Some rocks are composed of only one mineral like- limestone is a sedimentary rock and is composed of the mineral CALCITE.Read More...
• Soil makes up the outermost layer of our planet.
• Topsoil is the most productive soil layer.
Figure 34: Soil- Outermost layer of Earth
• This is the layer where plants grow and is the layer we see.
Formation of Soil:
• The formation of soil happens over a very long period of time.Read More...
SOME INTERESTING FACTS
• All rocks are made of two or more minerals, but minerals are not made of rocks.
• There are about 3,000 known minerals on the Earth.
• Quartz is one of the most common minerals found on Earth, and basalt is the most common rock.
• Diamond is the hardest natural substance on Earth, and a diamond is used to cut another diamond.
• Marble forms from metamorphosed rock, most usually limestone.
• Gold is extremely soft and one of the most valuable minerals.
• Feldspar is a term used for a very large group of minerals which are extremely abundant on Earth.Read More...