• Electricity is a basic part of nature and it is one of our most widely used forms of energy.
• Electricity play an important role in our day to day life.
• We are dependent on many electrical and electronic appliances to do our daily chores smoothly.
For e.g. Television, Refrigerator, Fan, tube-light and many more.
• Before electricity generation began slightly over 100 years ago, houses were lit with kerosene lamps, food was cooled in iceboxes, and rooms were warmed by wood-burning or coal-burning stoves.
Definition of electricity:
• Electricity is a form of energy. In other words electricity is the flow of electrons.
• Atom is the basic unit of matter or all matter is made up of atoms.
• An atom has a center which is called nucleus.
• The nucleus of atom contains protons and neutrons. Protons are positively charged and neut rons have no charge.
• The nucleus of an atom is surrounded by electrons. Electrons are negatively charged particles.
• In an atom number of electron is equal to number of proton i.e. the negative charge of an electron is equal to the positive charge of a proton.
• When the balancing force between the protons and electrons in an atom is disturbed by any outside force the atom may gain or lose an electron.
• When electrons are "lost" from an atom, the free movement of these electrons constitutes an electric current.