What is food?
• Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body.
• It contains all the essential nutrients.
• All living things, including human beings, need food in order to stay alive.
• The food that we eat helps us in many ways.
Importance of Food:
• Food plays a vital role in maintaining proper health.
• It helps in prevention and cure of diseases.
• It helps in growth and repair of worn-out tissues.
• It provides energy to our body.
• It protects our body from diseases.
From where do we get food?
• We eat a variety of food.
• We get food from both plants and animals.
• The food we eat produces energy, maintains life and stimulates growth.
• Many plants or plant parts are eaten as food.
e.g.: Cereal grain is a staple food that provides more food energy than any other type of crop.
• Millet, wheat, oats, barley, brown rice, beans and peas are all highly valuable in building our health.
• Wheat, mung beans, and soya beans make excellent sprouts.
• Animal source foods (ASF) include any food item that comes from an animal source.
e.g.: meat, milk, fish, eggs, cheese and yogurt.
• Many people do not consume ASF or consume little ASF by either personal choice or necessity.