GROWING PLANTS FROM ROOTS, STEMS, AND LEAVES
• Plants can grow not only from seeds but also with the help of their roots, stems, and leaves.
A. Roots that can grow into New Plants:
• The plants whose roots can grow into new plants are:
• Carrot, radish, turnip, beetroot, dahlia, sweet potato
B. Stems that can grow into New Plants:
• Potato and onion are the stems that grow into new plants.
• Some plants can grow into a new plant with just a stem cutting of the mother plant.
• rose, hibiscus, money plant, hyacinth, tulip, blackberry, grapes, sugarcane, fig
Leaves that can grow into New Plants:
• Young plants arise along the edges of some leaves.
• Complete plants can be grown from these leaves if they are placed in moist soil.
• Bryophyllum leaf
• Plants can be grown even from a single cell by using a technique called tissue culture.
Growing plants in a flask Growing plants in a petriplate
Growing plants from a single cell
• The cells are grown in a special substance that contains all nutrients required for plant growth.
Ans: No, it will not grow.
Ans: The whole beet root will grow into new plant and the other one will get rotten as the roots of beet root grow into new plant.
Ans: The money plant which has been sown in the garden will grow faster as it is a climber and together with soil, nutrients and water it also needs support to grow.
Ans: We’ll be able to get a whole plant by tissue culture method.
Ans: We can use petri dish in tissue culture method.