• Water is most important nutrient and most abundant substance in the human body.
• Water makes up 70-75% of body weight of the average human being.
• Most foods have some amount of water in them.
• We get 20% of our daily fluid from the food we eat.
• The other 80% of fluid we need comes from the beverages we drink or liquid foods we eat.
• Water is not considered as food.
• It is necessary for proper bodily functions but it does not nourish us with vital nutrients like proteins, fats or carbohydrates that provide calories for the energy our body needs, therefore it is not listed among the nutritional food groups.
• Water makes up more than half of our body weight and a person can’t survive for more than a few days without it.
e.g.:- Our blood contains a lot of water and it carries oxygen to all the cells of our body.
• Without oxygen; those tiny cells would die and our body would stop working.
• When our body does not have enough water, it gets dehydrated.
• Thus; we need to replenish the water in our body or else it can lead to a condition called dehydration.
• Children who suffer from vomiting or diarrhoea lose the fluids from their body; so it has to be replenished with a special drink called: ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution)