• The body is made up of millions of cells which we cannot see with a naked eye.
• Special cells combine together to make an organ.
• An organ is a complex structure within the body. It performs special function/s.
• A body system consists of a number of organs which work together.
Figure 1: Organization of a body system
Introduction to body systems:
• The system which is responsible for transporting nutrients and other substances to different parts of the body is: Circulatory system
Figure 2: Circulatory system
• The system which gives shape to our body and helps us in movement is: Skeletal system
Figure 3: Skeletal system
• The system which is responsible for carrying oxygen from the air to the bloodstream is: Respiratory system
Figure 4: Respiratory system
• The system which helps us in movement is: Muscular system
Figure 5: Muscular system
• The system which helps us to do a number of things like learning, thinking, feeling, tasting etc. is: Nervous system
Figure 6: Nervous system
• The system which helps us in getting rid of body wastes is: Excretory system
Figure 7: Excretory system
• The system which breaks down the food (we eat) into simple substances is: Digestive system
Figure 8: Digestive system
• The system which helps in producing new individuals is: Reproductive system
Figure 9: Reproductive system