• The animal kingdom is very large and has a variety of animals big and small which live on land and in water.
• Animals play a very important role in our life.
Animals are found in all parts of the world—
– In tropical and polar regions
– In deserts and in water bodies
– On mountains
– In the air
• Some animals live inside plants, and some live in the bodies of other animals.
• The animals are categorized into vertebrates and invertebrates.
• Animals with backbones are called vertebrates.
• The five classes of vertebrates are:
• Animals without backbones are called invertebrates.
• The most commonly known class is: