What is food?
• Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body.
• It contains all the essential nutrients.
• All living things, including human beings, need food in order to stay alive.
• The food that we eat helps us in many ways.
Importance of Food:Read More...
FOOD FROM PLANTS
• Green plants prepare their own food.
• For this reason, they are known as 'producers'.
• They use sunlight, air (carbon dioxide), water, and chlorophyll (in their leaves) to make their own food by the process of photosynthesis.
Sunlight + Carbon dioxide + Water + Chlorophyll
Sugar (organic food)
Process of photosynthesis in green plants
• Different plant parts serve as sources of food for us.Read More...
• The root is the part of a plant that lies below the surface of the soil.
• Roots of some plants are consumed as food like:
It is a root vegetable.
It is usually orange in colour.
Carrot juice is considered as a healthy drink.
• A stem is a part of a plant that holds the whole plant.
• It bears leaves and it acts as a trunk of a tree.
• Its function is to transport food substances to all other parts of the plant.
• Some edible parts of the plant are consumed by us.
The shoots of bamboo are edible.
• Most plant’s food is made in their leaves.
• Leaves are designed to capture sunlight which the plant uses to make food through a process called photosynthesis.
• Leaves are consumed in small quantities as a spice also like oregano for medicinal purposes.
• Leaves of plants like lettuce, spinach, cabbage, coriander, mint, and basil are consumed.Read More...