COMPONENTS OF FOOD
• The science of food that deals with the dynamic process in which the food consumed is digested; nutrients are absorbed; distributed to body tissues for utilization and wastes are disposed off the body is called nutrition.
• The food that we eat consists of different nutrients or components.
• There are six main components present in food that fulfill the basic requirements of our body.
• Carbohydrates are made up of hydrocarbon (hydrogen & carbon) molecules.
• Carbohydrates are foods that give us energy.
• They are necessary part of a healthy diet for both children and adults.
• Most foods that have a lot of carbohydrates in them are fruit, oatmeal, bread, honey, rice, corn, millet, barley, noodles, etc.
• Carbohydrates are classified into two major types:
• Simple carbohydrates are called simple sugars.
• Simple sugars are found in refined sugars.
• Fruits are natural sources of sugar.
• Honey contains sugar.
• Milk contains a type of sugar called lactose.
• Table sugar contains sucrose which is added to tea and coffee.
• Complex carbohydrates are called starch.
• Grain products such as bread, crackers, pasta, and rice contain starch.
• Processing of refined grains such as white flour and white rice removes nutrients and fibre.
• Unrefined grains still contain vitamins and minerals.