• When the moon comes between the Earth and the Sun, it blocks the sunlight to an extent.
• The sun looks as: it has a disc in front of it that creates a shadow.
• This is a solar eclipse as the sun is eclipsed or hidden partially from the view.
Figure 23: Solar eclipse
• The moon's shadow also has two parts—the umbra and the penumbra.
• When the moon's penumbral shadow reaches the Earth, we can see a partial eclipse from that region of the Earth.
• The regions in the umbra shadow experiences total eclipse.