CHARACTERISTICS OF PLANTS
• They are of different colours, shapes, and sizes.
• Plants are alive, just like human beings and animals.
• They grow and die.
• They need energy, nutrients, air, and water.
• They respond to different environmental factors.
Based on these characters most plants can be classified into following categories:
• Herbs are small-sized plants with soft stems. Tomato, Aloe vera, and wheat are examples of herbs.
• Shrubs are medium-sized plants with hard, woody stems. Cotton, lemon, and rose are examples of shrubs.
• Trees are tall plants that have a thick main stem called the trunk. Banyan and pine are examples of trees.
• Creepers are plants with very weak stems. Creepers grow along the ground. Strawberry, grass, cucumber, pumpkin are examples of creepers.
• Climbers also have very weak stems. Climbers attach themselves to supports such as walls, sticks, and other plants. Orangevine, grapevine, etc. are examples of climbers.