TYPES OF SIMPLE MACHINES
• A tool that makes our work easier by helping us overcome a larger force (load) by applying lesser force (effort) is called a machine.
• Machines may be simple or complex.
• A simple machine uses a single applied force (effort) to overcome a single force (load).
Figure 42: Types of simple machines
• A complex machine consists of two or more simple machines working together.
• A lever is a rigid rod arranged in such a manner that it can move freely around a fixed point.
• It consists of three parts.
Figure 44: A rod, fulcrum, load and effort make up lever
• This is the fixed point around which the rod moves.
• It is the object on which work is to be performed.
• A pulley is a wheel with a groove along its edge, for holding a rope or a chain.
Figure 58: A pulley
• Pulleys are usually used in sets designed to reduce the amount of force needed to lift a load.
• A small pulley at the top of a flagpole helps in raising the flag.Read More...