- Metals and Non-metals-Chemical properties of metals.
(a) Chemical reactions given by Non-metals i.e. their reaction with Oxygen, Water, Hydrogen, Acids, Salts and Halogens.
(b) Difference between covalent and ionic compounds.
· They usually have 1, 2 or 3 electrons in their valence shell.
They always ionize by losing electrons
Charge of ions:
· Positively charged.
Type of Compounds:
· They form ionic compounds.
Ionic bonds are present between the atoms.
· Bond formed by transfer of electrons from the atom of one element to the atom of another element is called ionic bond or electrovalent bond.
· They are always deposited at the cathode.
· They lose electrons and hence get oxidized.
Reaction of metals with oxygen:
· When metals are burnt in air they react with oxygen of air to form metal oxides.
Read ebook for more.....................