• A diet that contains adequate amount of different components of food required for the healthy functioning of our body is called balanced diet.
• After all; “WE ARE WHAT WE EAT”- Research continues to prove that eating healthy food promotes good health and unhealthy food habits lead to diseased body.
• Eating balanced diet means choosing a wide variety of food and drinks from all the food groups.
• According to the scientists, a balanced diet must include foodstuffs from the following four basic food groups.
Milk group: Includes milk and milk products.
Meat group: Includes meat (chicken, fish, lamb, etc.) and meat substitutes (beans, peas, nuts, and seeds).
Fruit and vegetable group: Includes fruits and vegetables.
Grain group: Includes breads and cereals.
Importance of Balanced Diet:
• A balanced diet and physical exercise is essential for long life and healthy body.
• It helps in controlling body weight, heart rate and blood pressure.