• A stem is a part of a plant that holds the whole plant.
• It bears leaves and it acts as a trunk of a tree.
• Its function is to transport food substances to all other parts of the plant.
• Some edible parts of the plant are consumed by us.
The shoots of bamboo are edible.
New culms (stem of plant) that come out of the ground are used in eating.
It is known for its sweet taste and is a good source of nutrients.
Bamboo is used in making furniture and its fibre is used in making paper.
• Stem of the banana plant is cooked and eaten in southern India.
• We eat the underground stem of certain plants like: