FOOD FROM ANIMALS
• Like different plant parts, animal products also serve as sources of food.
• Animal products are rich sources of protein.
For example: milk, eggs, meat, poultry, fish, etc. contain balanced level of proteins.
• Proteins can also be obtained from plant and plant products like legumes.
• Animal products are consumed by human beings.
Milk is an animal source food.
Milk is an ideal food not only for young ones but also for all other age group people.
Milk is obtained from domestic animals such as buffalo, cow, sheep, goat, etc.
It is nutritious and is a rich source of proteins.
Milk contains calcium. Calcium is an important mineral which makes our bones stronger and is also required for proper functioning of nerves.
Milk contains 87% water.
Lactose is present in the milk which gives it a sweet taste.
Milk provides a unique balance of nutrients.
• Many milk products are consumed by us in different ways.
• Let us study about some dairy products:
A. Paneer (cottage cheese):
Paneer is a versatile dairy product.
The most common method of making paneer is:
• Adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk.
• After that, the liquid portion of milk is drained off and the solid part forms paneer. This process is called curdling.
Cheese is a milk based food product.
Cheese is made from curdled milk of: Cow, Goat, Sheep, Buffalo
It contains protein, calcium, and phosphorus but in less amount.
Cream is a dairy product that is composed of higher fat layer skimmed from the top of milk.
It is obtained from domestic animal’s milk.
It is used in many foods like ice cream, sauce, soups, puddings, cakes, etc.
Butter is also a dairy product made by churning fresh cream or milk.
It is commonly consumed with bread.
It is also used as a condiment.
It consists of fat, water, and milk proteins.
Ghee is made by gently heating butter and removing the solid matter.
It is called as clarified butter also.
It is used extensively in Indian cooking.
However, eating too much ghee can be harmful to health.
The common method of making curd is adding a small sample of curd in warm milk.
The microorganisms (bacteria) present in curd turn the milk into curd.
Curd is helpful for digestion.
Meat is an animal flesh that is used as a food.
The flesh of both mammals and birds are termed as meat.
Meat of animals such as goat, chicken, fish, and prawns is commonly consumed by human beings.
Bird’s eggs are a common food and mostly used in cooking.
The chicken egg is the most commonly eaten egg in the world.
Chicken eggs are a rich source of proteins and vitamins.
Some people also eat eggs of goose and duck.
Honey is a sweet liquid made by bees from the nectar of flowers.
Honey is produced by honeybees which is then collected by beekeepers and consumed by humans.
Bees use their stored honey as their source of energy.
Points to Remember:
• The food that we eat contains nutrients.
• These nutrients fulfill different requirements of our body.
• Unlike green plants, animals cannot make their own food.
• They depend on plants and other animals for food.